Loading...

Stamford and Magna Carta

The text of Dr Henry Summerson's April 2015 lecture on his book, Stamford and Magna Carta​, is reproduced here for those members who were unable to attend.

Stamford Boys of 1911

Jean Orpin is planning a small research project based on the 1911 census.

We go to Remembrance Day services and say 'We will remember them' but do we know who to remember?

Stamford Poor Law Union

This article was written by the late Dr Stella Henriques, and first published in the Stamford Historian in February 1979. As a source for the article, Dr Henriques made extensive use of the files of the Stamford Mercury, which at that time were little used by local historians. In a brief introduction, Mr William Kirkwood puts the Stamford workhouse into context. The workhouse described here lasted some 65 years until, in 1899, the Guardians took the decision to build a new workhouse on the Bourne Road (now Ryhall Road); this new building was completed in 1902 and accommodated 175 inmates.

People and Property In Medieval Stamford

Edited by Alan Rogers
ISBN: 978-1-84549-548-0
 
This volume, published by abramis on behalf of the Stamford Survey Group, is the third to appear in a series designed to put texts relating to the history of the town into the public domain to encourage the study of the past of this town.
 

St. Cuthbert's Fee in Stamford

This paper was written for the Stamford Historian by the late Dr E C Till.  For this paper, the author has drawn on much original material in a attempt to remove some of the mysteries surrounding this obscure manorial court.

The Cecil's Monopoly of Milling in Stamford 1561-1640

In this article (first published in the Stamford Historian in 1982) Dr. D. L. Thomas examines the Cecil monopoly on milling in Stamford during the late 16th and early 17th centuries; and looks at the disputes between the townspeople, the Cecil family and other millers in the area.

Death By Misadventure: Coroners' Inquests 1700-1850 - Part 1

This is a slightly modified version of the original article which appeared in Vol 2 of the Stamford Historian, published in 1978.  In addition to the appendix below, published with the original article, further examples of the contents of Coroners’ Files will be added elsewhere on this website.

 

Stamford and the Plague, 1604

The following article written by Aubrey Plowman, first appeared in issue 4 of the Stamford Historian in 1980. It grew out of the Stamford Survey Group's project on population changes in Stamford from the middle of the 16th century to the early 19th century.  The article describes in vivid terms the greatest plague to hit Stamford during this period. It also provides an interesting example of how parish registers can be used to build up a picture of how the plague developed and spread  within the town.

 

People and Property in Medieval Stamford - Updates

Update: 17 September 2012 

This note falls into two parts: a)  emendations and additional notes to the published text and b) further unpublished title deeds as and when they are located. It will be updated from time to time and the date of the last update will be recorded as above.