Bridge in Stamford, Lincolnshire

Stamford seen from the meadows

Detail from the Stamford Historian

Error message

User warning: The following module is missing from the file system: ckeditor. For information about how to fix this, see the documentation page. in _drupal_trigger_error_with_delayed_logging() (line 1143 of /home/stamford/public_html/includes/bootstrap.inc).

Notes and Queries

Post date: 02/27/2014 - 14:47 - 0 Comments
The following letter, a transcript of an original in private hands and unpublished until now, throws light on both the workings of Stamford Town Council and its relationship with central government. It is also particularly interesting in showing how a key supporter of the Tudor monarchs protected his interests vigorously.
Post date: 02/14/2014 - 10:06 - 0 Comments
Window Tax was imposed by Parliament in 1696, replacing the Hearth Tax, to help meet the cost of reminting the damaged coinage. After 1792 houses with between 7 and 9 windows were taxed at 2 shillings, and from 10 to 19 windows at 4 shillings. In 1825 houses with less than 8 windows were exempt. The tax was finaly abolished in 1851. The following extract is taken from a volume in the British Library entitled: 'Cases Which have been determined by the JUDGES relative to the DUTIES on Houses and Windows and on Inhabited Houses'. Printed in the year MDCCLXXXII For ease of reading a modern typeface has been used but the original capitalisation and punctuation have been preserved.
Post date: 05/12/2012 - 13:21 - 0 Comments
THE HEARTH TAX RETURN FOR THE LIBERTY OF NASSABURGH, FOR 31st JULY, 1663 [Stamford St Martin's section only in this extract] A note by Tim Halliday of Peterborough. Stamford Survey Group wish to thank him for permission to reproduce the Stamford section of these returns.
Post date: 05/12/2012 - 13:13 - 0 Comments
The following notes on Terricus of Cologne were supplied by Professor Alan Rogers.
Post date: 04/25/2012 - 14:46 - 0 Comments
William Cecil lord Burghley was obsessed with his family history. He continually sought and obtained information and produced several contradictory pedigrees; so any light that can be thrown on earlier generations of Cecils are valuable. David Cecil of Stamford, his grandfather, Alderman (i.e. mayor) and MP for the town, was a particular concern; for someone had charged lord Burghley with being the son of an innkeeper (a story which is still repeated). This is not true: the basis for it is that David was given the Tabard in Stamford by John Dyccons glover, councillor and Alderman of Stamford in the 1490s and almost certainly father-in-law of David Cecil, to be used for his (Dyccons’) will. A full biography of David Cecil will be published shortly in Nottingham Medieval Studies (Alan Rogers, ‘The Parliamentary representation of Stamford, 1467-1509’). This note concerns two matters, his will and his wife.
Post date: 04/25/2012 - 14:36 - 0 Comments
RESPECT OUR PRIIVILEGES: A Muster Certificate for Stamford and St Martin’s, 1584 Among the many manuscript volumes which are to be found in the Town Hall is an early one of considerable interest. It contains a wide range of notes and transcripts of items relating to the property of the town including a register of leases from the sixteenth to eighteenth centuries, hirings of servants, sealing of hides and other items, not least a taxation list of 1581.
Post date: 04/25/2012 - 14:33 - 0 Comments
The following notes are taken from the Proceedings and Ordinances of the Privy Council vol vii pages 227-229

Projects and Events

Lists and Indexes