Bridge in Stamford, Lincolnshire

Stamford seen from the meadows

Detail from the Stamford Historian

Stamford Historian

Post date: 08/17/2012 - 13:00 - 0 Comments
NOTES to list of Coroners’ Inquest papers – Stamford Town Hall http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/records/looking-for-person/coroners-inquests.htm provides guidance on the general availability of Coroners’ Inquests papers nationally as well as a (very brief) bibliography. Currently (2012) no Coroners’ Inquest papers appear to be available online. This list gives only the barest outline of details: date, subject, verdict with some indication of cause of death and an indicator (by means of an asterisk - *) if evidence was presented to the jury, was included with individual files, and is now available. These records are not currently available for consultation, but some further details may be available by contacting this website. Please note that this list was compiled in the early 1970s, after the discovery of these papers and has not been subsequently altered. The papers were the source for the article in the Stamford Historian vol.2(1978) pp7-20 to be republished shortly on this website.
Post date: 08/17/2012 - 12:44 - 0 Comments
This is a slightly modified version of the original article which appeared in Vol 2 of the Stamford Historian, published in 1978. In addition to the appendix below, published with the original article, further examples of the contents of Coroners’ Files will be added elsewhere on this website
Post date: 07/28/2012 - 16:32 - 0 Comments
This paper was written for the Stamford Historian by the late Dr E C Till. For this paper, the author has drawn on much original material in a attempt to remove some of the mysteries surrounding this obscure manorial court.
Post date: 07/16/2012 - 19:42 - 0 Comments
In this article (first published in the Stamford Historian in 1982) Dr. D. L. Thomas examines the Cecil monopoly on milling in Stamford during the late 16th and early 17th centuries; and looks at the disputes between the townspeople, the Cecil family and other millers in the area.
Post date: 07/10/2012 - 19:42 - 0 Comments
This article was written by the late Dr Stella Henriques, and first published in the Stamford Historian in February 1979. As a source for the article, Dr Henriques made extensive use of the files of the Stamford Mercury, which at that time were little used by local historians. In a brief introduction, Mr William Kirkwood puts the Stamford workhouse into context. The workhouse described here lasted some 65 years until, in 1899, the Guardians took the decision to build a new workhouse on the Bourne Road (now Ryhall Road); this new building was completed in 1902 and accommodated 175 inmates. After 1930 the new workhouse became a Public Assistance Institution and in 1948 became part of the new National Health Service as St. George’s Hospital. The building was demolished some years ago to make way for retirement housing.
Post date: 05/30/2012 - 19:23 - 0 Comments
The following article written by Aubrey Plowman, first appeared in issue 4 of the Stamford Historian in 1980. It grew out of the Stamford Survey Group's project on population changes in Stamford from the middle of the 16th century to the early 19th century. The article describes in vivid terms the greatest plague to hit Stamford during this period. It also provides an interesting example of how parish registers can be used to build up a picture of how the plague developed and spread within the town.
Post date: 05/06/2012 - 16:11 - 0 Comments
This article was produced by Ken Coles for the February 1980 edition of the Stamford Historian. In it he explores the evidnce for the location of Stamford's Eleanor Cross.

Projects and Events

Lists and Indexes